The majority of travel-related illnesses are nausea, diarrhea, fever and dermatological problems. In all these cases, preventive measures are particularly effective. If only clean foods and drinks are consumed, you minimize the risk of intestinal infections caused by known infectious agents.
10 tips for disease prevention and hygiene during travelling:
- Do not eat anything that can not be cooked or peeled and avoid street food and open water bottles. Also beware of ice cubes. Drinks should always be ordered without ice.
- Salad is a taboo in tropical countries because washing with contaminated water also contaminates this particularly sensitive food.
- Wash your teeth with drinking water in a plastic bottle or for single use if possible – or with boiled water.
- Parents who change their children in public toilets should disinfect the changing tables first, using a disinfectant spray. Toilet glasses should also always be carefully cleaned before use.
- Wash your hands regularly. Especially after using the toilet and before meals. Sometimes water is not available on the road: think of sprays or disinfecting wipes for cleaning hands.
- Take the hygiene of your place of accommodation seriously. This is how you will get an apartment / room / tent without rodents or insects. Avoid contact with both domestic and wild animals. Protect yourself as much as possible against mosquito bites, using all common means.
- Even small wounds should be treated neatly and quickly. Always disinfect wounds and wounds.
- Avoid contact with water in nature and with the ground, do not walk barefoot.
- Have your doctor check any temperature spike, fever or other disturbance of your health as soon as possible. If you have symptoms or fevers when you return, tell your doctor about your recent trip.
- Avoid sexual contact, use condoms.
This information is a summary and should not be the sole basis for decisions related to your condition. Consult your doctor or pharmacist if you have a medical question. An internet search does not replace a consultation by a professional.